Guess what pattern I used? Butterick 3134- the 6-gore View B this time. I lengthened it about 8″.
The fabric is what I would call a twill-like bottom weight with no right or wrong side. Its not hugely fray-happy, yet edges did need to be finished.
I tried narrow hemming the edges, but it looked awful. So, I set my machine to do a really narrow, tight zig-zag and sewed over the outer circle and one short edge to keep them from fraying. I was really wishing I had a Serger. 😛
To sew them on, I basted the ruffles hem-length up from the bottom (since the gores weren’t hemmed yet) with the inner circle ruffle edge lined up to the gore edge and the finished short edge parallel to the hem. As I basted from the hem up the skirt, I tapered the last 3 inches into the seam allowance. If that sounds confusing, just look at the above picture. 🙂 Then just sewed the skirt together normally, sandwiching the ruffles in the seams.
Hemming was slightly tricky trying to not get the ruffles caught. 🙂
The flower is actually made from a different material- its a melt-able fabric so I burned the edges of the layers to make the flower. I was pleased with how well they matched! 🙂