Hey y’all! I laid down to rest the other afternoon and was struck with inspiration and determination to do this project, so I hopped up and got started.
I actually did all seams except the sleeves and a little bit on the pockets with my serger, just for the fun of it.
I took pictures of the process and thought I’d share them. 🙂 I bought my fabric at Spandex House several months ago just to experiment with since it’s such a cool material. Here’s a link.
First, I pulled a favorite t-shirt out of my closet and used it as a pattern. Folding the shirt in half and placing it on on the fold of the fabric, I just cut around the outline of the shirt, adding seam allowance. I should have given myself a little more room (ease), but I didn’t realize that the athletic mesh wasn’t as stretchy as the shirt I was using as a pattern, so the finished fit is a little tight.
I made the armhole a little bigger as well because of the stretching issue.
I cut out the back piece first and then used it as a pattern to cut out the front piece, but changed the neckline on the front by carefully copying the V of the original shirt.
I sewed the shoulder and side seams, then tried the shirt on to test for fit. I took in the sides a little and cut the neckline larger.
For the sleeves, I used the pattern from my swimwear eBook. I actually ended up cutting out the sleeves again and making them larger to fit the new armhole better, once again, because my fabric wasn’t as stretchy as what I’m used to working with.
I made a elastic casing on the sleeves and inserted elastic that I had cut to size.
For the hood, I traced a hood on my favorite vest.
I doubled the fabric over so I would be sure I came out with two of the same shape.
I improvised the bottom of the hood and just tapered it off slowly so that it would extend down on the V of the shirt.
I sewed the hood seam together, and then carefully pinned it onto my neckline. Because I was serging all my seams, I didn’t have to worry about exposed edges. (I took this picture before I realized I had it pinned inside out, so don’t mind that.)
Where the hood tapers off, I just put it onto the V. I made sure it was even on both sides especially on the front.
I found some white knit fabric and folded it over to make a “binding”. I carefully pinned this starting at the front of the V, around the neckline, up onto the hood, and back down to the V again.
At the front of the shirt I just overlapped the ends and sewed them together along the seam lines.
For the front pocket, I just made up the shape. I looked at a couple jackets I had with this style pocket and eyeballed my pattern. I did it in half so that it would be symmetrical.
I did draw my shape out first and decide what it should look like before I cut. I also cut two pieces of “binding” for the handholes.
I tried the shirt on and decided on the placement of the pocket. Believe it or not the height of the pocket has an effect on how flattering it is.
Then I flipped it up and sewed it to the shirt.
Folding it down after trimming the seam, I carefully tucked the side edges under and awkwardly (because of the angle) sewed them down inside the pocket.
I trimmed off the fabric below the pocket and sewed on a wide binding from my mesh fabric.
Because the mesh is see through, I wear a tank top underneath. I’m so glad I took the time to make it; I think this will be a favorite for many years. 🙂