Hey y’all! I think it’s time to give our fingernails a little TLC, don’t you? When my health was poor, my nails really showed it! White dots, ridges, cracking, breaking, general brittleness- I could just tell my body was not happy. I’m doing a lot better now and I’m super excited my nails are reflecting that! Today was overcast and sleepy– perfect for a manicure! Online there are a bunch of directions for how to do a manicure, but I wanted to share a gentle, natural method that spruces up without exposing your hands to chemicals.
- Hand towel
- Nail clippers
- Nail file
- Natural sugar
- Coconut oil
- Clip your nails into a pretty, slightly rounded shape.
- Gently file the edges to smooth any snags and finish shaping.
- With your hand towel folded in half, wet the non-folded short edges with hot water and wring it out.
- Mix half a teaspoon of coconut oil with a teaspoon (ish) of natural sugar and rub into your hands, focusing on your cuticles and rough spots on your hands to exfoliate and moisturize. Don’t rinse off before the next step.
- Place your hands into the folded towel that should still be warm and moist and let your hands rest in there for 3-5 minutes while you relax. This softens your hands, opens up your pores to the coconut oil, and loosens your cuticles for the next step.
- Rinse the sugar off your hands with warm water. Use the towel to gently push any overzealous cuticles back off the nail. Some people advocate cutting cuticles, but this can be harsh and unnecessary, especially if you won’t be painting your nails as part of your manicure. Any hangnails can be cut with clippers.
- Rinse your hands while rubbing the remaining coconut oil into your nails and you’re done!
There’s just something about having lovely natural nails that boosts one’s confidence! (Although becoming a hand model sure isn’t in my future!)
I hope y’all have a wonderful day! Do you have a manicure routine?