Hey y’all! How is your Thursday going to far? Mine has been rather productive and I’m going to hustle through this post so I can do more things! 😉
- Driving up to your piano lesson, but sitting in the car while you wait for your sister’s lessons to be over, doing your written theory homework. Through the open window, you can hear your pastor and a guy with a giant crane talking about how the area of Bucksnort got it’s name. Something about a guy named Buck always snorting whiskey.
- Taking two hours to do 20 minutes worth of chores. Went like this: Catch Emma on the mower who gives me the feed recipe: 5 scoops regular feed, 4.5 scoops cow
peas, 1 scoop corn, soaked in a gallon of milk.
Walk inside to the refrigerator; we’re out of animal milk. Okay, run
upstairs, find $10 (that actually took 4 times climbing stairs before I
found it), grab the keys, drive to the Dairy. While I’m there near a friend’s house, I
pick out some movies for Mommy to watch. Put 6 gallons of milk in the
van. Drive home. Unload milk, stepping over the new puppy who loves
doormats. Realize that you forgot to get the pig scraps from the farm
earlier in the day, and you need to run over there and get those before
it gets any later. Grab keys, wallet, and phone again and drive to church to switch cars with Daddy (who had taken the truck) so I can put
compost in the back of it. On the way past the neighbor’s, I
realize I am not going to make it on fuel fumes. Thankfully I had gas in
the back of the truck, but the spout was too short to get it in the
tank. So, borrow a tube from them. Stand there fueling, have a
nice little chat, and drive to the farm. Reclaim kale scraps from the
vicious worms in the compost pile, drive home.
Get a text: “Hey! What are you up to?!”
“Just pulled pig food out of a compost pile full of mealworms! It was so gross!”
“EWW. I’m eating split pea soup! Thanks a lot- I’m sick now!”
Drive behind the house to the pig pen. Find their trough, move it back
to it’s correct spot without letting them touch me, dump in two lugs of
rotting produce, close fence, scoop cow peas and corn into the chicken
bucket, and drive back down to the garage.
Dump a gallon of milk into the bucket to let it start soaking while you
go get the normal feed. Find a bucket, get the feed, dump it in the
chicken bucket with the milk, etc. Drive down to chickens. Try to stir
bucket with a bent hoe from the back of the truck, didn’t work too well.
Awkwardly divide the feed between two chicken tractors, check the water,
and finally make it back to the house. Rinse out lugs and buckets, go
upstairs and get an egg carton, go outside and collect the eggs. You have reached the end of my epic saga.
- “Olivia, did you run out of shirts?!”– my sister’s awkward way of saying she doesn’t like my clothing choice.
- “There’s no one I’d rather send skirts to than you!” — Madeline‘s way of commentlianting me.
- Turning on the radio to hear the last of one song and the beginning of the next. “Wake me up before you go-go/ don’t you dare to leave me hanging on like a
yo-yo…(next song)…I’m wide awake /I’m wide awake”
- Thinking you’re totally alone as you spill your heart out on the phone to a friend, and then realize a person you were just mentioning is standing within earshot.
- Having a guy tell you that if you make your herbal tea that way it’ll turn out bitter.
- Working with a friend and another friend calls and says, “Hey, can I bring y’all lunch?” So, she brings a huge bowl of chicken salad and eats with us. Another friend stops by to join on her way home, and eventually two more friends finish their hauling job and also eat with us. So, eventually we had 6 young folks from church each from a different family, randomly eating lunch together on a weekday.
- Chasing cows. Why do I enjoy this so much? In the cold windy rain no less. And maybe barefoot.
- Finally getting a chance to work on my denim skirt ebook! I’m totally stoked, y’all.
- The Morning Center. Please, be sure you’re voting every day! Since the website sells wine, for legality purposes they have to ask you to be 21 to enter the site, but they don’t mind if you are under 21 and vote. So, please, if you have a facebook account, go vote! And, sign up for email reminders!
- “For central to the meaning of the cross is this- You are not in charge; you are in trouble.”~ This article is really good.
- Chocolate pudding craving! I finally got around to coming up with a healthy recipe for
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup tapioca (or corn) starch
- 1 1/2 heaping tablespoons marshmallow root powder (not necessary, but it has throat-soothing qualities, perfect for this time of year)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Whisk together in a sauce pan and then mix in
- 2 1/2 cups of milk
- 1/2 cup honey
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until pudding boils and is thickened (about 8 minutes). Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 2 more minutes. Remove from heat, add
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, cut in 1 Tbsp pieces
- 2 teaspoons vanilla (or 1 T homemade)
- Stir gently until butter melts. Transfer to bowl, place plastic wrap directly on top of warm pudding; cool 10 minutes. You can serve it warm or chill it first. Really yummy with whipped cream, walnuts, and/or sprinkles. 🙂
I don’t recommend getting distracted reading about the health benefits of marshmallow root powder while you’re trying to thicken your pudding. 😉 Hope y’all have an awesome day! What’s been awkward or awesome about your week?