Hey y’all! I’m so sorry it’s been so long since I’ve been here to chat! It’s been a hectic, but productive, couple weeks as I try to get some housework done before I hide away next week to start hemming the Fresh Apparel Denim Co skirts! My sister Willa looked so cute recently that I wanted to share her outfit with you. She’s 16 and the one who usually takes my pictures. 🙂 Brace yourself: I’ve got quite a few Awk+Awes to share since it’s been so long since the last one!
- Hiding waiting in a bathroom stall for the Panera employee to finish washing their hands so you can brush your teeth (with charcoal, which is even more awkward).
- The fact that it’s January 22nd and the Christmas decorations aren’t put away yet.
- Sitting at a table full of guys for lunch and after about an hour chatting and smiling and laughing, you realize you had a huge black seed in your teeth for probably the majority of that time. *cringe*
- Finding the verse “So you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing” scribbled on a moving box containing three porcelain clowns on swings from Germany. Lacking nothing is for sure. 😉
- That my shower radio has a phone button on it so you can answer calls while lathering.
- When you come home to find your entire driveway and yard toilet papered. And then spend days cleaning it up with 18 ft bamboo poles.
- Having a truck that will only make it about 3.25 miles before it overheats and you have to let it cool down. To the dump and back is 4.6 miles, so I’ve broken down in the same spot at least 4 weeks in a row. -_-
- Waking up so sick from your Lymes that you throw up twice while staying at a friend’s house. This makes you late for your coffee dates– “Hey how are you!?” Actually really really awful, how about yourself? 😛
- Having wet red nails as the party guests arrive (careful hugging!) and you’re supposed to be arranging crackers in bowls.
- Rigging a metal shelf to be a tailgate for your truck with some bailing twine so you can haul firewood.
- When you’re in a restaurant’s waiting room and it gets so crowded you stand half behind the Christmas tree and half on a bench, in the frozen window. And then y’all end up just going next door and ordering a pizza.
- Not knowing your guest house had a deer processing room until your dad shot a deer and suggested you to come see it. 😛 It’s got a sink, air conditioning, shelves, the whole shebang.
- Sitting at a really fancy dinner and fidgeting with your shoe so much that the liner comes out and gets separated too far from your toes to fix without bending down to pick it up.
- When your really-not-musical dad gets up and sings a verse of Blue Christmas, Elvis style, for the whole church.
- Going hunting for ugly Christmas sweaters and not finding any from here to Georgia.
- When you get an email from someone asking if they saw you at a store as soon as you get in your car in the parking lot. O.o
- When you’re with a friend at Starbucks and have nothing but coffee on your stomach so you just start vibrating your leg uncontrollably because of the caffeine. “Are you cold?!” Not really… “Are you okay?!” Yeah, actually…
- When your sister tries to make the music louder by putting her earbuds in her nose and opening her mouth…. (doesn’t work, btw) 😉
- Eating shrimp. The legs are too much.
- The laughing mood that my cold+ exhaustion put me in for about 36 hours. Every little thing sent me laughing uncontrollably. Especially burrito jokes or comments about ancient Rome.
- When your friend in med school sends you selfies from the cadaver lab.
- The part of doctors visits when they ask if you’ve been consistent taking your vitamins and medicines and you have to say not really…
- Safe travels. I have another long drive coming Monday (12 hours round trip to pick up skirts!) and I’m really hoping our car makes it. 😛
- Attending a formal Christmas party and the evening ending with everyone throwing card stock airplanes from the third story stairwell in their suits and formal dresses.
- Homemade dairy-free ranch dressing that takes less than 2 minutes to make. Have I shared that recipe here? We based it off of The Pioneer Woman’s super fancy recipe, but here’s mine:
- 8 oz plain coconut milk yogurt (we get the SO Delicious brand at Whole Foods)
- 8 oz mayonnaise (we get the 365 organic brand at Whole Foods)
- 1-3 Tablespoons dried oregano (we buy ours from Mountain Rose Herbs)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- plain coconut milk to desired consistency
- Mix together and store in the fridge! Keeps for a long time.
- Our dog having 8 puppies. New experience for everyone. 😀
- Having the stamina to work 45+ hours last week cleaning/organizing/purging/caulking our basement. I posted one of my work outfits on Instagram.
- Callie, Rashida, and Meadow singing me a customized version of Taylor Swift’s “22” for my birthday back in October!
- When your wifi automatically connects at the gas station.
- Having a sauna 8 ft from your bedroom. Being able to be completely warm (130* warm) at least once a day during the winter is SO nice.
- Getting all my emails sorted out… for real this time. Took my inbox from about 1,000 to 4 emails.
- Taking care of business paperwork (read: taxes and bills) on the porch because it was 60* and sunny outside!
- Finding 39 pieces of glasswear at the thriftstore for $10!
- Midnight snacks.
- An awesome Christmas trip with my family to my grandparent’s house.
- The post office in Frostburg, Maryland. Absolutely gorgeous old building with fancy P.O. boxes, double wooden doors, and ornate carvings everywhere. I’ve spent a long time in post offices lately so I appreciated the unique beauty of that one.
- The Lord providing even when His children are… well, stupid.
- A french press and organic coffee.
- My Elvis Presley personal checks. I figured if there was ever an acceptable time in my life to have them, it would be now. (plus now I get mail order offers for The King figurines and who doesn’t want those!?)
- Everyone who is being so patient about getting their Errand #17 skirt! The plan is to start hemming Tuesday.
// Willa’s outfit details //
Shirt: Ann Taylor : ThredUP
Tank: Forever21 $1.80
Shoes: Converse: $35 on sale
I hope you all have been well! Please, fill me in! What’s been awkward or awesome with you lately?